In a nation where 55% of adults have used marijuana at least once, it's no surprise that the American cannabis industry is the largest in the world. More than 35 million people across the country are regular cannabis users who like to get high at least twice a month, bringing the industry up to a whopping $13.6 billion.
If you're contributing to this statistic, you likely are constantly looking for new ways to try pot. Edibles are one of the best, and cannabis infused gummies are the perfect place to start. It's totally possible to purchase these at most dispensaries, but why spend the money when you can DIY weed gummies and make them as strong as you like?
Read on to learn how you can make your own cannabis gummies!
Cannabis Infused Gummies: The Basics
Cannabis gummies are one of the most popular ways to consume weed. They have a multitude of benefits because of their potency. People can generally get high using less cannabis in the form of edibles than they can if they were smoking or vaping. This means that you can save money on cannabis and get higher with less pot.
Another one of their biggest advantages is that they can be consumed anywhere. There are no restrictions as to where you can take the gummies (unless you're operating a vehicle or heavy machinery, in which case THC is always dangerous). You can get high with edibles in apartment buildings where landlords have restricted smoking or in public no-smoking/no-vaping areas.
Using a cannabis gummy also emits no smell or secondhand fumes, so it's a considerate way to use weed when at home. Your roommates/partner/neighbors won't be privy to the odor. They probably won't even know that you're getting high (unless you want to get them in on the fun!)
Get Cannabis Extract
The first step to making your own cannabis gummies is to gain access to an extract. You have a couple of possibilities here, one of which is to use weed-infused coconut oil. This can be created at home easily using decarbonated cannabis.
You can do this by using your oven, along with a mason jar, turkey bag, or our DecarBox which is specifically designed for a more precise decarboxylation. And once you have the decarbed weed, you'll be able to begin your infusion.
Check out our in-depth guide on decarboxylation here.
Are There Other Types of Extract?
You can also use hash oil as an extract to be used in weed gummies. Many enthusiasts like this alternative because it provides a fuller and more enjoyable flavor. It requires a lot of time and patience, though, so most first-time DIYers choose to skip out on hash oil.
A tincture is another possibility, but it tastes much 'greener' than coconut oil does and therefore is generally less desirable to ingest straight. You will also still need to make it into cannabis oil with a Magical Butter Machine, so you might as well simply use this machine to make cannabis oil on your own.
How to Make Weed Gummies: A Step-by-Step Guide
Once your coconut oil infusion (or other extract) is ready to go, it's time to begin actually making your gummies.
Step 1: Gather the Ingredients
Here are the ingredients that you'll need for creating cannabis gummies:
- 3/4-1 cup cannabis tincture, to be reduced in the pan OR 1-2 tablespoons of the extract that you purchased prior to this point
- 3 oz of your favorite Jello flavor
- 1/4 oz of unflavored gelatin (usually about 2.5 envelopes)
- 1 cup of fruit juice (not pineapple and not citrus- apple juice is usually the best choice since citrus counteracts the effects of THC)
- 1 tablespoon honey or other sweetener
- 1/2 teaspoon flavor extract
You also will need:
- A large bowl
- A small bowl
- A non-stick spatula
- A large non-stick saucepan
Step 2: Prepare Your Gelatin
The first step to making cannabis gummies is, of course, to create the gummies.
- Empty your 3 oz of Jello into a large bowl
- Next pour your unflavored gelatin on top of the Jello
- Mix the two types of gelatin until they blend together seamlessly
- In another small bowl add your fruit juice and honey together and combine
- Pour the honey and juice mixture into the large bowl with the gelatin
- Whisk this mixture until it is fully combines, then let it sit for 7 minutes to bloom*
*blooming is when you allow the gelatin to fully absorb the added liquid
The next step is dependent on what type of extract you are using.
- If you used an alcohol tincture
- It must first be reduced to a Full Extract Cannabis Oil (FECO)
- Pour it into a non-stick pan on the stove
- Heat it on low heat to allow the alcohol to evaporate, mixing occasionally. NEVER DO THIS NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.
- Stir until you reach a molasses-like consistency
- You now have Full Extract Cannabis Oil (FECO) or as we call it, MBO.
- If you already have a FECO/MBO (or RSO)
- Add it to your non-stick pan and place it on the stove on low heat
- Pour the gelatin mixture into this same non-stick pan and let it melt
- Add the flavor extract and mix to combine everything
- Cook on low heat for a few minutes, mixing occasionally until it's one smooth consistency
Don't want gummies made with alcohol tincture? Make coconut oil gummies instead!
Step 3: Fill Your Molds
The next step is quite a simple one. All you need to do is take your mixture from the bowl or tray and transfer it in a measuring cup that has a spout. If you don't have such a cup, that's fine- you can also use a small funnel or sauce bottle.
You will need to grab a mold at this point. If you want to make cannabis gummy bears, you'll need a mold specifically made with little bear shapes. However, this is generally an unnecessary expense when you can purchase inexpensive molds that will create gummies that are just as delicious and potent.
After your mixture is in the molds, you just need to refrigerate them for one hour before eating them. Have fun getting high!
Cannabis Infused Gummies FAQ
How Long Do Gummies Last?
You can consume CBD jellies for 2 months if they are stored in the refrigerator. They last a full year if you store them in the freezer. However, if you don't want to refrigerate/freeze them, they probably won't last longer than a week.
What Is the Appropriate Dosage?
Start with one gummy if you're unsure of what your tolerance is. Wait for 2.5 hours and see if the effects are to your liking. If you find that you need more, take another gummy and remember that you'll want to have 2 next time (assuming that you make them with the same potency). Check out our tool to help calculate your dosage
Can I Infuse Other Candies With Cannabis?
Yes. You can infuse a wide variety of both candies and pastries with cannabis. Hard candies, brownies, lollipops, and even chocolate- the sky is the limit when getting high!
While there are a lot of ways that you can consume all strains of cannabis, gummies are one of the best. They're easy to make and consume. Even better, the high that they provide you with is unmatched for both mental and physical relaxation.
Now that you know how to make cannabis infused gummies that taste great and will get you high, it's time to get started. Check out our online shop to purchase some ingredients for your gummies. We offer the extracts necessary for infusion if you aren't in the mood to DIY them. We also have a wide variety of baking materials including molds, oven mitts, kitchen needles, and more.